Tuesday, January 8, 2008

No Sun Yet...

So go figure when the sun finally starts getting above the horizon it gets overcast again. Hopefully we'll be able to see it tomorrow (forecast is for cloudy periods - just watch the clouds all be around the horizon).

In other news, I took down my Christmas tree today (finally! I'd planned to do it on Saturday). Our hallway looks so much bigger now! I was a bit sad to pack up my knitted Santa :( I have some irrational fear that I'm going to open my Christmas bin next year and he'll be ruined (he's in a ziploc bag and in a plastic bin I'm sure that won't happen).

We got a belated Christmas parcel from family friends yesterday (in time for Ukrainian Christmas at least!). I got a knitting book (Knitting New Scarves) and two skeins of Berroco Peruvia in a really nice rust/brown colour. K, our one friend is really into "trick wrapping" presents. Usually one person a year gets the "honour" of having one of their presents trick wrapped and this year it was my turn (I've only been the lucky recipient of trick wrapping once before - my birthday when I was 11 or 12). I unwrapped one of my presents to find a Glenfiddich case and at first I was sort of like "wtf... I don't drink scotch..." and then it hit me - Oh no, it's not a nice bottle of Glenfiddich (Glen was excited that it could've been scotch) no, I had a present STUCK in the case (insert much swearing - in a good way). It took me 2 hours to get into the damn thing and retrieve my present (the yarn). The rules are that you can't use anything sharp (fingernails are allowed but teeth aren't and of course knives, scissors and the like aren't either). I think the first time I got the trick wrap I ended up cheating after hours of struggling to find a way into my present (it was wrapped in layers and layers of black electrical tape with the end cleverly hidden - plus it was breakable so I think they finally let me use scissors in fear I'd break the present before getting into it)... So, the instructions on this present said to call after 6pm for instructions so I sat and tried to pry it open with my fingernails (running them under the lip of the cap hoping to loosen the glue) until 6 when I started calling their house. They were on the phone for a while so while I was waiting I ran the edge of the lid across the edge of my desk and voilĂ ! It popped right open! I think K was a bit upset that I got into it so easy once I finally got a hold of them.
Now he'd better watch out because I'm on the hunt for a present for him so I can take the rest of the year to wrap it - think lots of tape and glue :) (I got him back once and it took him a day and a half to get it unwrapped :) I am a trick wrapping force to be reckoned with!). I've got to be careful though because he has access to a welder and just might weld my present shut next year...

Temperature: -32 (that's without the windchill - yikes!)
Sunrise: 1:19pm
Sunset: 2:42pm

No comments: