Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Busy!!

Busy, busy, busy!!!

Wow, the last month went by so fast! I've hardly had time to do anything between getting us ready for Christmas and getting everyone at work ready (a lot of planning goes into ordering, wrapping, baking, planning etc etc for 5 people). Things went well this year despite the fact that I was running out of time to get things done and didn't manage to get everything done that I wanted to (it was mostly the baking that got cut in the end - I made over 400 various kinds of cookies for work since I was putting together boxes to hand out to a few local places - long term care, resident's families etc. So because of that I didn't get any baking done for here and didn't manage to get any bread or buns done either - I realised at like 10:00pm Sunday night that I'd completely forgot to make buns for at work and then was way too lazy to make some for our dinner - oh well!). I was extra busy but this is the first year that wasn't full of stress and things getting all messed up. At work we order all our presents through Sears and this is the first year that everything made it on time - even the stuff they said wouldn't be here until January made it by the 23rd!
One of the resident's mums is visiting for the holidays and it's been a lot of fun having her around (I'm pretty close with the family). She originally came here for medical but extended her stay for Christmas. Because of her medical condition she has a very hard time getting around so I've been taking her out and helping her with her errands and stuff. Luckily she's a very small woman so when we go out, Glen and I just pick her up and put her in our truck (well, our landlord's truck that we're using while they're away) and then put her in her wheelchair to get her around. Most of my evenings at work have been spent chatting with her and asking questions about how life used to be up here (she's not even 50 yet and was born out on the land). It's so fascinating to hear about that sort of stuff - especially to hear about her first experiences with "southern" culture (one of her first non-northern foods was a mandarin orange and she says she can still remember how sweet it was). I made her a pair of mittens while she's been here since her usual rabbit fur mitts are a bit too bulky for trying to get in and out of vehicles. I only have a picture of one of them but I'm going to try to get a picture of her wearing them.

In other news, only 5 or 6 more days until the sun comes back - yay! The "sunrise" each morning has been getting better and better - pinks, purples, oranges. The 50th anniversary of Inuvik is this year so apparently the budget for the annual bringing back the sun fireworks has more than doubled. Should be exciting!

On the knitting front - I still haven't finished my knitted nativity (I haven't worked on it much in the last few weeks) It'll be finished before next year but it might take a while... I have a few other "urgent" things I need to get done first. I'm almost finished a super secret Secret Pal present. I've never knit anything for a Secret Pal before so I'm both nervous and excited I can't wait to post about it though.

I was going to post pictures but that will have to wait until another day... Glen is trying to watch the cricket on the other computer and uploading is messing that up.


Temperature: -18C (feels like -25C)
Sunrise: -
Sunset: -

No comments: