Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fabric Dyeing Workshop pt. 2

Here are my results from the workshop:



I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. Most of the pieces are lightly marbled (instead of a tie-dyed effect) which is quite nice (I was too lazy to take a picture of each individual colour). Today we did some two colour experimenting (ie: put one colour in the bottom of the cup, then the fabric, then pour another colour over top) and some people painted with the dyes. Rinsing all the colours took quite a while and then when we got home we put everything in the washer/dryer then ironed it.
I would love to do another workshop like this - I had fun doing the rainbow thing with the three primary colours and I think it would be fun to do more experimenting with different shades of red/yellow/blue.

I'm planning on making a colour wheel quilt (pattern in Last Minute Patchwork & Quilted Gifts) and have about half my fabric with what I have dyed. Hopefully it won't be too tedious to find the other half.

Here's a picture I took yesterday on my way home from the workshop:




Temperature: -35C
Sunrise: 10:42am
Sunset: 5:35pm

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love both pictures, with totally opposite reactions. The top one makes me warm; the bottom one makes me shiver.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see your finished quilt!

Megan said...

Toni - It was REALLY windy that day! I just about froze to death waiting for my friend to finish her conversation!

Teri - Hopefully it gets finished quickly - I still need a bit of fabric for it. I have two quilts on the go now (?!?!) that I SHOULD finish before I start a new one... But you know how it goes ;-)